First up, we have a pair of hauntings from Louisiana:
Eunice Public Library
222 South Second Street
If there is a spirit haunting the public library in the small town of Eunice, then it may really like children’s literature. According to the librarian, a book by Mary Alice Fontenot, a local children’s author, “has gone missing from our shelves, and after replacing this book, the replacement went missing as well.” But this is only one of a number of incidents that remain unexplained including the staff opening the library in the morning and discovering that the restroom door is locked with the light on inside.
After discovering that a local psychic and paranormal investigator had had odd experiences at the library as a child, the library asked the investigator’s group, On the Edge Soul Seekers, to conduct an investigation. The results were presented to the public on May 29th, with nothing published yet on what those findings were.
- Johnson, William. “Is the Eunice Public Library haunted?” Daily World 29 May 2014.
Spring Street Historical Museum
525 Spring Street
At the Spring Street Historical Museum in the old Tally’s Bank Building in Shreveport, the ghost is more interested in the welfare of the employees there than children’s literature. A 2013 article mentions that a museum employee was about to get up on a ladder when he saw the museum’s front door open by itself. The sturdy door was not prone to open easily and the employee was a bit frightened. When he returned to the ladder, he discovered he had not set it up properly and may have fallen should he have climbed upon it.
The museum occupies the Tally’s Bank Building, considered one of the oldest in Shreveport. It was constructed as a bank just after the close of the Civil War. With the South’s economy still rather unstable, the building housed three different banks. The first two failed, but the third—B. Jacob’s Bank—became First National Bank of Shreveport in 1885. That bank occupied this Italianate-style building until the 1950s when the bank needed more space. The structure served as a bar for a number of years until it was donated to the local Colonial Dames organization for use as a museum.
The stories of paranormal activity from the building have led to its being investigated three times. According to a recent article in the Shreveport Times, the primary spirit is of a former bank manager named Edward.
- Louisiana State Historic Preservation Office. Document on Tally’s Bank. Accessed 1 June 2014.
- Spradlin, Courtney. “City Explorer: Step inside downtown’s Spring Street Historical Museum.” Shreveport Times. 28 May 2014.
- Thomas, Angela. “Before ‘Ghost Hunters,’ Louisiana Spirits Explored Shreveport’s Haunted Past.” KEEL News Radio 710. 13 June 2013.
1905 City Hall
300 South Second Street
Bay St. Louis, Mississippi
Two hurricanes, Katrina in 2005 and Camille in 1969, tossed this Bay St. Louis landmark about pretty badly. Camille blew off the building’s cupola and Katrina severely damaged the building when it made landfall near Bay St. Louis. Now, tenants of the restored building are experiencing something that’s tossing things around inside the building.
Originally, the building housed the city’s Mayor’s office, City Council chambers, police department and the jail. Over the years, many city departments have occupied the building which, after Katrina’s destructive blow to the city, required extensive restoration. After its Georgian splendor was restored recently, the building now houses a variety of businesses and offices with a restaurant, the Cypress Café, occupying the entire first floor. It is here, where the old jail was once located, that quite a bit of paranormal activity has been experienced.
An article from a local TV station, WLOX, quotes the café’s owner as saying, “We’ve had a lot of things move around, we’ve had glasses fly around. Doors just open and close real quick, and all of our doors have safety mechanisms which [means] you can’t actually open them. There’s just so many things that happened here on a regular basis that just didn’t seem normal.” After initially attempting to ignore the activity, the owner and staff decided to call in a paranormal team.
The café has just seen its second investigation after an earlier investigation by The Atlantic Paranormal Society. Just recently, G-COM: Ghost Chasers of Mississippi, investigated and captured evidence of three possible spirits.
Legend points to an incident in 1928 which may provide the origin of some of the building’s activity. That year, a man incarcerated in the jail shot his way to freedom, killing a man in the process. After he was recaptured, the prisoner became the last person executed by hanging in Hancock County.
For the café’s owner, however, the spirits are not fearsome, “nothing bad has really happened, it’s really kind of cool,” she said.
G-COM has produced a video of their investigation, it can be viewed here.
- Belcher, Geoff. “Old Town ‘Haunt’—Paranormal investigators probe historic Bay building.” The Seacoast Echo. 4 April 2014.
- Showers, Al. “1905 city hall restored in Bay St. Louis.” 29 October 2010.
- Showers, Al. “Could the historic city hall in Bay St. Louis be haunted?” 29 May 2014.
Did you enjoy this article?
Help support Southern Spirit Guide
by leaving a few dollars in my tip jar.